Thursday, January 3, 2013

New

As the kids (the ones who managed to stay awake) counted down to the new year, I quietly said good bye to the worst year of my life.  And I breathed a prayer asking for an outpouring of grace in the year to come.

Reflecting on the last year just serves to punctuate how fragile life is, how precious are all of those moments with the ones we love.  And it makes me think about the importance of legacy.  What is left when life on this earth is done?  What will be remembered?

This morning, I read Mindy Belz's reflections on the legacy of Jeremiah Small, the 33 year old American teacher in Iraq who was killed by one of his students.  His father says that the following sums up his son's view on life:

"Live loved, live called, love life,
find mentors, invest eternally,
trust providence."

What a powerful summation of a life of purpose!  What a testimony to a man who lived knowing that God's plans are bigger than anything we can imagine!  If someone had to summarize my life in a dozen words, what, I wonder, could they truthfully say?  What would I want those twelve words to be?  

The words that best describe Bryan's outlook on life were those that he quoted to me, and that I've already shared here:  "God's man, living in God's plan, is invincible till God's work with him is through." Follow God, and be fearless.  When in doubt, charge forward.  Above all, keep moving.  That's how Bryan lived, and those are the lessons that I intend to focus on as I "charge forward" in the new year.

So, here's to a fearless new year- a new year that is truly new.

"Have I not commanded you?
Be strong and of good courage;
do not fear nor be dismayed,
for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."
Joshua 1:9

No comments: