Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Strength

"I hear the Savior say,
'Thy strength indeed is small;
Child of weakness, watch and pray,
Find in Me thine all in all.'"

Since Bryan's death, and even while he was in the hospital, many people have told me that I'm strong.  I have two reactions to this.  First, I want to laugh and ask, "And the other option would be??"  (I have seven children.  I do what I have to do.)  But my second reaction is, "No, I'm not."  

I'm not strong.  But here's the secret:  I don't have to be.  And neither do you.

God is not looking for strong servants.  He wants humble ones.  He wants children who rely on Him.  In fact, in His paradoxical kingdom, He chooses the weak to shame the strong (1 Cor. 1:27).  We're not supposed to trust in the strength of our hands.  And that's a good thing, because when it comes to real battles, we quickly find that our hands aren't nearly strong enough.

"Some trust in chariots, and some in horses,
But we will remember the name of the Lord our God."
Psalm 20:7

It is in our weakness, not in our strength, that we best show God's power.  The Apostle Paul was a strong person.  He was educated, bold, confident.  He was so strong, that the Lord went out of His way to make sure that Paul depended on Him.  The Lord gave Paul a torment, and Paul begged Him to remove it.  But He didn't.  Instead, He told him,

"My grace is sufficient for you.
For my power is made perfect in weakness."
2 Corinthians 12:9

What powerful words!  The weakness- the reminder that we are but dust- is for God's glory.  It's not so that we will fall.  It's not so that we will be conquered by our fears.  The weakness allows the Lord's power to give us victory.

So, when you see people who persevere under trial, you're not seeing their strength, you're witnessing God's grace.  And for His grace I am thankful.

1 comment:

Debbie M said...

Thank you for putting into words what every Christian knows but sometimes forget...we are all nothing without Christ! You are still strong...just strong in your faith and strong in God's grace as you said. But that strength is a powerful testimony to anyone watching you of what God CAN do if we will just trust Him. What is your option? Seven children or not, many would have chosen to fall apart rather than trust God. You have chosen the good and right thing! God bless you and the children every minute of every day, Aimee! Thank you for your testimony...daily.