Thursday, June 7, 2012

Full Info

Yesterday, I realized that because Bryan was so out of it last week, he had never really gotten the "big picture" when it came to his condition.  I've been giving him info and the doctor has been seeing him each day, but all the information was just piecemeal.  This morning, I asked the doctor to go over all of it with him to bring him up to speed.

Now, everything fits together in a coherent fashion in his mind, and that makes things much easier.  At least now he knows what questions to ask!

Today we got the "final diagnosis" and as the doctor suspected, this T-cell Lymphoma doesn't fit into any existing category, so it's "T-cell Lymphoma not otherwise categorized."  (Try googling THAT.)  While the cure rate is not as good as some of the more common B-cells, it's still more treatable than some other forms of cancer.  Because it is rare, the treatment isn't established.  It will be, according to the doctor, "more art than science."  They'll be treating him, closely monitoring how he responds, and making decisions from there.

Right now, he's done with the first round of chemo, so we're just waiting for his blood counts to drop and then come back up.  Because of his compromised kidneys, they are monitoring that even more closely than they usually would.  We'll see how it all goes next week.

And, in the spirit of giving thanks in all things, today Bryan's friend Mitch brought him... an extension cord!  He was about the happiest he's been all week.  It's the little things that make the difference when you're tied to a bed.

Psalm 63:1-4
O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly;
         My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You,
         In a dry and weary land where there is no water.
Thus I have seen You in the sanctuary,
         To see Your power and Your glory.
Because Your lovingkindness is better than life,
         My lips will praise You.
So I will bless You as long as I live;
         I will lift up my hands in Your name.

No comments: