Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Home Sweet Home

It's been good to have Bryan home.  Last Saturday, I realized that it was the first day in two and a half weeks that I didn't have to get in the car and drive somewhere.  (I hated being in the car when I was a baby, and I still feel pretty much the same way about it.  Except no more screaming and kicking the car seat.)  Sunday afternoon, I took a nap and slept for two hours!  (Thank you, Austin, for letting Mommy sleep!)  I guess I just needed to catch up.

The kids are thrilled to have Daddy (and Mommy) home.  They've been great about letting him rest and just doing all their usual chores, playing, and daily living in the midst of this big change in our family.

Bryan has done better being at home, though managing his pain and nausea is a challenge.  He's working toward getting on a good schedule with his pain meds so that he's not experiencing as many ups and downs.  I'm trying to feed him as much as I can get him to eat.

Over the past couple of days, I've felt a little overwhelmed (sometimes a lot overwhelmed) at the path before us.  I was so focused on getting Bryan home that I really hadn't thought past that.  Now that we've reached that goal, the finish line seems a long way off.  I know I'll need to refocus my attention on smaller goalposts along the way to maintain the stamina I'll need. 

I went for a (short) run early this morning.  I had been working on getting back in shape after baby #7, but three weeks off left me feeling almost like I was back to square one.  To keep myself going, I focused on something ahead of me and kept focusing on it until I got there, then I shifted my focus to something further ahead and ran toward that.  Life is going to be a lot like that from now on.  We'll need to celebrate the small victories and keep moving.  Ultimately, we will all need to keep our eyes fixed on the Rock of our Salvation, the only One who can bring us through.

Now, the goal is to make Bryan feel comfortable at home.  We bought a recliner for him.  My dad and a friend picked it up and brought it over on Father's Day.  Bryan has really loved it, and, as you can see from the picture, Austin is helping him break it in.


Psalm 61:2
"When my heart is overwhelmed,
Lead me to the Rock that is higher than I."

No comments: