Sunday, June 10, 2012

Hidden in My Heart

Memorizing Bible verses is a very good thing.  And I'm not just saying that because Bryan and I are AWANA commanders.  I really believe that Scripture memory is an important piece of the puzzle that makes up who we are as Christians.

My dad started helping me memorize verses when I was two.  I think my first verse was, "Be strong in the Lord."  (And, "Children obey your parents," of course.)  Back in my Sunday school days, the teachers would tell us stories of Christians who found themselves persecuted and without Bibles.  They relied on memorized Scripture to encourage and strengthen them.

But memorized Scripture doesn't just come in handy when you're locked in a cell in a hostile land.  It is a lifeline when you're just too exhausted, emotionally and physically, to open a Bible.  This whole situation is wearing me out.  I read God's Word with the kids.  I tell them that from the Scriptures we will find strength.  Then, at the end of the day, I find myself staring at the cover of my Bible, perhaps flipping around randomly, too tired to really "drink" from the Living Water.

That's where Scripture memory comes in.  God is a gracious and loving Father.  He knows I'm tired, and He meets me where I am.  He brings to mind verses that I've memorized, usually from many years ago (although the AWANA verses that I've helped my little people with come to mind too), even in the middle of the night.  Songs that are straight Scripture are especially encouraging. 

Bryan had a rough day yesterday.   His counts were dropping, as expected, and he was nauseated (again, expected), and I could only be with him half the day.  Today, though his physical condition was unchanged (his counts are continuing to fall), he was much calmer and seemed more settled.  I asked him what the difference was, and he said that today, he realized that he just needed to rest.  He's focusing on letting his body recuperate, and I know that that will help tremendously.  It's hard to be still when you're as active as he is, but today, he gave stillness a chance, and I think it worked well for him.

And now for that memorized verse:

Psalm 27:1
The Lord is my light and my salvation;
Whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the strength of my life;
Of whom shall I be afraid?

No comments: